Monday, December 19, 2011

Just My Munchkins Luck......

Have you ever had the feeling like the Fates are out to make sure you cannot parent to the best of your abilities? Well, welcome to my day. The Fates have smiled down their loving, sarcastic smiles on me and (insert evil laugh here) decided to make sure that I would not be able to teach my youngest daughter a lesson today, no matter what the cost. 

The day started like any other day with the craziness of the morning and my wonderful husband getting the girls up and ready for school. Please know, mornings are not my forte. I fully believe that nice doesn't start before 9AM (or 8AM if there is at least a half a pot of coffee). So the "unspoken" agreement (translation: what happens and my hubby just deals with it) is that he handles the girls in the mornings since he drives both of them to school and I get them in the afternoons and the rest of the day/evening. 

So this morning was fairly typical for our family. Slight insanity but nothing out of the ordinary. I go about my day, working from home, cleaning some, playing with our dogs and then head out to pick up my youngest munchkin from school. We head to the doctor (ear infection time!), get our prescription, run some errands and head home about the time my oldest munchkin gets home from school..... all is normal. 

Then the Fates decided to have some fun..... my girls apparently came to the conclusion that it doesn't matter that Santa is supposed to be here on Sunday AND Momma has his number on speed dial. (This worked for my oldest until a couple years ago and she has been kind enough not to bust her little sister's bubble..... for now.)

I hear the sweet loving voices of my children carrying throughout the house as they talked about how "you aren't cool" and "You're mean" and "I'm gonna tell Daddy!" (this one was from the youngest) and various increasingly not nice words.... as I bust my kiddos for being mean to each other I decided I would teach them a lesson (insert evil Mommy laugh here)..... they both had to clean their rooms.... AND help each other do it, all while being extra nice to each other (brilliant Mommy idea!).

Well, imagine my surprise when I hear my girls fighting not 10 minutes later! (Note the sarcasm in this line!) So they had to finish their chores, eat dinner, bathe and go straight to bed. Now, as much as all of this frustrated me, it is still very typical for our house. Sibling rivalry. Imagine that. 

Then my youngest gets ready for bed...... comes into the kitchen, where I am baking cookies for Christmas presents for teachers, tells me her tummy hurts and promptly throws up. Everywhere. This is the work of the Fates. They sit back and laugh and say "I will not allow you to teach your child a lesson for being mean to her sister! Instead, you will sit back as your heart breaks for your sick child because you know there isn't much of anything you can do for a stomach virus!" (In my head, I wrote that in a vengeful, slightly French dialect. I have no idea why.)

So my evening has now included moving to the living room so that my husband can get some sleep tonight since he has to work in the morning, changing the bedding in my little girl's room (three times now), jumping from the couch every time I hear her cough, and hoping and praying that her tummy feels better by morning. There is nothing worse than having a sick child.... unless its a sick child at the holidays. 

No comments:

Post a Comment